We’re hiring an AmeriCorps Volunteer to assist with our Swimmable Waters program this summer! Do you want to work for clean water in the Laurel Highlands this summer? This position is offered through the Pennsylvania Mountain Service Corporation and is a 300 hour temporary position from May 22, 2017 – August 11, 2017. While the internship is unpaid, volunteers will at the completion of the internship period and after the terms of the PMSC agreement are met receive an education award of $1,221.96.
- Coordinate water quality sampling at 14 locations within the Youghiogheny River watershed each week through the swimming season. After collecting the samples the member will process the samples, analyze the samples and report the samples to theswimguide.org.
- Implement outreach activities to educate community members about the quality of water and the safety of water contact recreation within the Youghiogheny River watershed.
- Assist in conducting biological and chemical water quality monitoring.
- Assist in conducting routine maintenance activities at abandoned mine drainage treatment systems.
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or working towards a degree in environmental science, biology, or related field. Course work in fields of ecology, biology, environmental disturbances, or related topics
- Field experience, including physical, chemical, and biological water quality monitoring
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, and independent worker
- Reliable transportation and willingness to travel when required
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and a willingness to develop additional skills as needed.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Submit a resume and three references to Carla Ruddock. Please place “Swimmable Waters Internship” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.