The Mountain Watershed Association seeks the protection, preservation and restoration of the Indian Creek and greater Youghiogheny River watersheds in the Laurel Highlands region of southwestern Pennsylvania. We are currently accepting resumes for a full-time Youghiogheny Riverkeeper. The Youghiogheny Riverkeeper is a program of the Mountain Watershed Association and has expanded the organization’s vision into the larger Youghiogheny River basin. The Yough Riverkeeper is the public advocate for the watershed. We use grassroots efforts to defend against further pollution, improve water quality and to conserve the natural ecology and character of the region. Learn more at mtwatershed.com.
- Build the Mountain Watershed Association’s advocacy initiatives and capacity of the Youghiogheny Riverkeeper program to support advancement of environmental protection in the basin. Serve as the public advocate for the Youghiogheny River watershed.
- Work in coalition with organizational partners to advance environmental protection locally and regionally.
- Maintain familiarity with a diverse set of issues including coal mining, gas drilling, land use, fisheries, water quality and quantity, and climate change.
- Develop educational materials including action alerts, website content and newsletter articles on relevant issues.
- Use state and federal laws to advocate for environmental protection.
- Organize community members to participate in campaigns or other initiatives and identify and build leadership capacity in impacted communities
- Respond to requests from the public, coalition members, and media. Identify and take advantage of opportunities to promote our work throughout the region through social media, the placement of letters to the editor, op-eds and interview opportunities.
- Review permits, proposed regulations, legislative and policy proposals and provide technical comments as necessary.
- Conduct patrols and actively maintain a presence throughout the Youghiogheny River watershed. Investigate and respond to citizen complaints.
- Participate in Waterkeeper Alliance activities including the annual conference and uphold the Waterkeeper Alliance Quality Standards.
- Participate in fundraising including grant writing and reporting, event management, membership development and major donor solicitation.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in environmental science or related discipline and 5-8 years experience in environmental advocacy, organizing, policy, or similar field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a high level of independent judgment.
- Experience in campaign development and management, legislative and policy initiatives, and demonstrable knowledge of air and water pollution issues.
- Demonstrated leadership capability and ability to work well with a wide variety of people (rural experience strongly preferred).
- Ability to multi-task, adapt to changing situations and to think creatively and quickly and to work well under pressure.
- Ability to interpret and clearly articulate legislation, technical or legal issues in an accessible way.
- Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the Mountain Watershed Association and Youghiogheny Riverkeeper program and supporting the communities that they serve.
- Ability to work daily out of our Melcroft, PA office with occasional overnight travel required. Long hours and weekends are occasionally necessary.
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with experience and other nonprofit organizations of similar size, scope and mission. Excellent benefits package.
To Apply: Email submissions are preferred. Please submit a cover letter, resume with three references and a writing sample to Beverly Braverman at the Mountain Watershed Association (firstname.lastname@example.org). Resumes will be accepted until the position has been filled.
Swimmable Waters AmeriCorps Volunteer
We’re hiring an AmeriCorps Volunteer to assist with our Swimmable Waters program this summer! Do you want to work for clean water in the Laurel Highlands this summer? This position is offered through the Pennsylvania Mountain Service Corporation and is a 300 hour temporary position from May 22, 2017 – August 11, 2017. While the internship is unpaid, volunteers will at the completion of the internship period and after the terms of the PMSC agreement are met receive an education award of $1,221.96.
- Coordinate water quality sampling at 14 locations within the Youghiogheny River watershed each week through the swimming season. After collecting the samples the member will process the samples, analyze the samples and report the samples to theswimguide.org.
- Implement outreach activities to educate community members about the quality of water and the safety of water contact recreation within the Youghiogheny River watershed.
- Assist in conducting biological and chemical water quality monitoring.
- Assist in conducting routine maintenance activities at abandoned mine drainage treatment systems.
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or working towards a degree in environmental science, biology, or related field. Course work in fields of ecology, biology, environmental disturbances, or related topics
- Field experience, including physical, chemical, and biological water quality monitoring
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, and independent worker
- Reliable transportation and willingness to travel when required
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and a willingness to develop additional skills as needed.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Submit a resume and three references to Carla Ruddock. Please place “Swimmable Waters Internship” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.